To download the PDF file (15 CBs)
State and dynamics of development of mass media, publishing houses and printing enterprises of Uzbekistan
I. Mass media
Today in the conditions of global changes in the modern world, dynamic social and economic, democratic development of Uzbekistan the shape and outlook of citizens of our country radically changes, their political activity grows. It is powerful result step by step and the reforms which are consistently carried out by the Country leaders in the state construction, the solution of tasks of strengthening of a place and role in the society of mass media, its activization in system of institutes of civil society.
As it was noted in the report of the President Islam Karimov at a joint meeting of Legislative chamber and Senate Oly Mazhlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan "The concept of further deepening of democratic reforms and formation of civil society in the country", relevance has ensuring information freedom, transformation of mass media into a tribune of free expression by citizens of the thoughts and ideas, positions and the relations to the occurring events. In our country the special attention to strengthening of material base of mass media is paid, to their equipment by modern information and communication technologies, to creation of necessary conditions and opportunities for activity at the level of the international standards. Today more than 10 laws and legislative regulations regulating activity of mass media among which – the laws "About Mass Media", "About Protection of Professional Activity of the Journalist", "About Publishing", "About Guarantees and Freedom of Access to Information", "About Advertising", "About Communication" and others are adopted.
The analysis of today's state and dynamics of development of national information and media space of Uzbekistan shows:
• for successful and vigorous activity of mass media in Uzbekistan the extensive legal framework which continues to be improved taking into account the international experience and realities of the present is created;
• the existing legislative base in the sphere of mass media promotes consecutive improvement of quality and efficiency of the national press, the developed world mass media meeting the requirements and standards, and also expansion of a network of non-state mass media and introduction to the information sphere of market mechanisms.
• printing editions and electronic mass media of Uzbekistan are based on the international standards and the best practices of the democratic states of the world and adequately reflect national values and mentality of the people;
• stage-by-stage liberalization of mass media, activization of activity of non-state means of the press, radio, television, expansion of their entry into the global Internet provide transparency of the policy of reforms pursued in the country.
• there are conditions for active illumination of mass media by the carried-out country of foreign and domestic policy – taking into account pluralism of opinions, events occurring in the country and beyond its limits.
• new non-state, private mass media are actively created.
• the state and non-state mass media of Uzbekistan actively participate in process of formation of democratic civil society.
• processes of formation of print media - independent, self-sufficient, democratic and meeting the modern international standards are in every possible way supported;
• as well as in all democratic countries, in Uzbekistan at present free and independent mass media act as important civil institute. Independence of editorial offices of newspapers and magazines, their responsibility increases.
• the important role in development and liberalization of national mass media is played by public structures. These are such as National association of electronic mass media (NAESMI), Public fund of support and development of non-state print media and news agencies, Creative union of journalists of Uzbekistan, etc.;
• the party press promoting formation of political culture of the population develops. All political parties, current in the country, have the periodicals;
• taking into account an ethnic variety of the population newspapers more in 7 languages are published and prepare TV and broadcasts in several languages.
If in 1991 in Uzbekistan 395 mass media worked, the indicator today given makes (on a state of 01.01.2015) 1392. From them 689 newspapers, 283 magazines, 100 TV and radio. Along with printing editions, TV and radio channels as mass media websites are also registered. Today 79 percent TV and radio channels and websites are considered as non-state mass media. Mass media of the country are published and air in seven languages of the nations and nationalities living in our country.
The last years a number of media are at an exit stage from the state maintaining. Due to the active introduction and development of ICT, especially the Internet in the country as of January 1, 2015 registered of 304 websites as mass media.
There is an intensive specialization of both printing, and electronic mass media. Now mass media, except the political and economic directions, specialize on such aspects, important for modern society, – as spiritual and educational, medical, children's, sports and information and technological subjects more and more.
On November 12, 2010 in the report of the President Islam Karimov "The concept of further deepening of democratic reforms and formation of civil society in the country" at a joint meeting of chambers Oly Mazhlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan the special attention is paid to further strengthening of freedom of mass media, expansion of introduction of market mechanisms to the sphere of information, priority tasks reforming of the information sphere are defined.
In the Concept on further deepening of democratic reforms and formation of civil society in the country it is noted that without ensuring information freedom, without transformation of mass media into the arena where people can freely express the thoughts and ideas, positions and the relation to the occurring events, it is impossible to speak about deepening of democracy, political activity of the population, about its real participation in political and public life of the country.
In the Concept of the head of state concrete measures for introduction of corresponding changes and additions in the laws "About Mass Media", "About the Principles and Guarantees of Freedom of Information" and some other acts of the legislation are defined.
In it also adoption of the laws "About Economic Bases of Activity of Mass Media", "About Guarantees of the State Support of Mass Media" directed on increase of efficiency of activity and protection of economic interests of participants of the information market, the Law "About TV and Radio Broadcasting" aimed at the development of this major branch of the sphere of information communications is offered.
Further reforming of the information sphere and providing a freedom of speech and information will promote strengthening of a place and role of mass media in system of institutes of civil society, fuller realization of constitutional rights of citizens on a freedom of speech and a freedom of choice.
In Uzbekistan book publishing as independent sphere of activity, includes many the publishing, printing and book-selling organizations. Each of them, carrying out the concrete function, interacts at the same time with other subjects of book business.
Activity of publishing houses in the Republic of Uzbekistan is ordered and coordinated according to the Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan "About publishing", the Resolution of the Cabinet 275" About the adoption of provision on publishing licensing" of June 11, 2004.
On the basis of the decision of the Commission on licensing of publishing as of January 1, 2015 108 licenses were granted and all of them are entered in the State Register.
III. Printing enterprises
Activity of the printing enterprises in Uzbekistan is ordered and coordinated according to the Resolution of the Cabinet of the Republic of Uzbekistan No. 454 "About the adoption of Provision on an order of registration and registrations of the printing enterprises" of December 27, 2002.
In pursuance of requirements of the above resolution the Agency adopted orders No. 18 of December 13, 2002 "About the statement and production of new type of the certificate on registration of the printing enterprises" and No. 19 of December 20 of the same year "About creation of a commission of experts on registration of the printing enterprises in the territory of the republic".
As of January 1, 2015 in the republic 1819 printing enterprises are registered.
Information service of UZAPI